Friday 21 February 2020

Mooner - Only Light/The Dawning Hour


Released: 21 Feb 2020
Label: _
Listen on Bandcamp

I've liked Chicago indie rock band Mooner for a while now. I was aware of them through their 2015 album - Masterpiece, which is really superb, especially the song Shapeshifter. Their sound is reminiscent of The Shins, Weezer and Teenage Fanclub.


The song - 'Only Light' is very heartfelt and moving. I had the impression it is about parenthood: 'You are my friend I don't know, but I'll know all my life. Watch you grow, go to school, I'll be home.' It is quite simple and highly melodic, with subtle electronic hints in the production. 

'The Dawning Hour' is another lovely song and brought to mind Neil Jung by Teenage Fanclub. Two beautiful songs, from a band who are well worth checking out.










No comments:

Post a Comment