Saturday 7 March 2020

Luca Nieri - Interview




Skilled musician, songwriter and producer - Luca Nieri, is one of UK music's best kept secrets. His subtle, intricate folk songs are so beautifully crafted, setting him apart from contemporaries. His own renditions of classic folk songs are also stunning. These include Davey Graham's 'Hummingbird', and Jackson C. Frank's 'Milk and Honey'. 

Before going solo, he was the drummer for Welsh indie band - Colorama, and was then a member of London Folk band - The Monks Kitchen. He also co-wrote and produced RW Hedges' albums - 'The Hunters in the Snow' and last years 'The Hills are Old Songs'. Both modern classics in the Folk/Americana genre.

His fourth Solo album - Always You, is out at the end of March, on the Wonderfulsound record label. I catch up with Luca, ahead of the release:




Q. Tell me about your new album. What new ideas, sounds e.t.c. can we expect?

A. The new record is very delicate. I chose to record an album of songs apposed to the last record that was all instrumentals.The sound on the new record is stripped back. I wanted a sound that was intimate without layering tracks up.






Q. Who are your biggest influences? Old and new artists who have inspired you.

A. I think that Bert Jansch, Davey Graham, Joao Gilberto and Chet Baker have to be the artists that have inspired me the most. As for new artists, I haven't really heard anything that has come out that has inspired me.


Q. Did you get into music at a young age and what started your love of music? When did you first start writing songs?

A. My first memory of music was when I was about 8 or 9, at school, in the morning assembly, I would put my name down to play piano (although I never had lessons and didn't know what to play) and I would perform a made up piece that was probably nonsense, but musical nonsense! After that I would try instruments in music class. I tried the flute, trombone and piano. It was later that I found the drums and guitar and taught myself how to play them. I started writing songs at about 14 -15.


Q. You often write songs with RW Hedges. What is the typical songwriting process? For example - Does he come up with an idea/concept and you help write the music, melodies e.t.c.?

A. There is no typical process. It can vary depending on the song. Some songs have no lyric and some chords, so we work it out. Some songs have everything but the correct time signature. Some songs we both have to write lyrics. It really is random, but in some way we have “our” way of working.






Q. You are also a member of the band The Monks Kitchen. Their last album was a while ago (2013). Can we expect more from them?

A. Yes.We have written and recorded many songs, so there is always a possibility of releasing them.There is a Dylan covers record that we have made that we are finishing up. I am also producing one of the Monk’s solo record that will be released at some point in the future.


Q. Of all the songs you have written, which are you the most proud of?

A. To be honest I'm not sure. I'm proud of all the songs I have recorded.


Q. A lot of your songs are very short, around 2 minutes or under. Is there a reason why you prefer to write in this way?

A. Songs shouldn't hang around. I like songs that get to the point and leave you wanting more, rather than the opposite.


Q. Which of all the albums you have been involved with (producing or your own) did you enjoy making the most?

A. I enjoy all the records I work on.


Q. What is your favourite song to cover?

A. At the moment I like playing “Accustomed To Her Face”, a song that was written by Loewe and Lerner, covered by Wes Montgomery. I learned Wes’ version and have been enjoying the chord progressions.






Q. Do you have a favourite song and album of all time?

A. I listen to a lot of different types of music so picking one song and album is quite hard! It really depends on what mind set I'm in at the time.


You can listen to and buy the new album Always You, here on Wonderfulsound 
Available end of March.






No comments:

Post a Comment