Saturday, 1 August 2026

The Pierce Kingans - Only By The Best




Released: 1 Aug 2026
Label: Subjangle
Buy Here


It has been a while since I reviewed an album here, but I always knew it was not the end for the blog. This is the album that got me writing again - the first proper album by The Pierce Kingans. There is a huge back catalogue of EPs, compilations and singles well worth checking out too.

I first found this artist about 6 years now and have been listening consistently ever since. His songs are unique, with wonderfully weird lyrics and lovely melodies. It is hard to pinpoint why these songs are so addictive, but musically I can't think of another artist who fits my music taste so well!

It opens with 'Don't Fuck It Up' which I have to admit I was not sure of at first. I hope people don't listen to this and turn the album off! It's so hard to find comparisons musically but it brought to mind The Knack. It is very fun and poppy, of course I love it now.

Other highlights include 'Legs Benny' which is a quirky song about a prostitute, with some humorous lyrics. Again it is so catchy and different to any other music around. 'Save The World' is heavenly, with intricate harp and harmonies to die for. It really had me so emotional. 'DTES' is more alternative rock in style, recalling Pixies.

My favourite here is 'Unsmarted' which is one of those timeless songs that you love immediately and want to play over and over. It is quite 50s in style but this is no ordinary ballad. The lyrics are brilliant though a bit surreal - "If love is dead then we won't need contraceptives". Again, the harmonies are done so well, it gives you butterflies to listen to. I love the homage to Nirvana 's 'Heart Shaped Box' at the beginning too.

A joyous listen, from one of the most talented, under the radar artists around. Make sure you check out 'Suspicious Persuasion' (the best song not to make this album) too. Highly recommended. 



No comments:

Post a Comment